Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fabric of Our Lives


Design of buildings and cities requires the basic understanding of human behavior however the knowledge of building materials is crucial. I always look for opportunity to explore various materials. In the past, I have experimented with concrete, metals, tiles, stones and plastic. But recently I got a chance to work with fabric or I deliberately chose to experiment with the fabric as I always love the feel and look of textiles from all over the world. In the past, I had made few paintings of flying Saree. Below is one digital painting, printed on canvass of flying Saree in the mountains.
Flying Saree
I am starting to understand the manufacturing process of fabric along with its property. On the other side, I am scratching the surface and getting lost in a whole world of flowing fabric. So for some time, I am going to be fabric and interlace the fields of fabric. Today, I want to talk about the use of Fabric and Textile in our life.

Fabric is a flexible and pliable material. It is soft unlike concrete, wood or stones. The term, textile and fabric is used interchangeably. The fabric is defined as  "artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers". Everyone knows of its use in clothing to cover the human body. But fabric has penetrated in every industry and has become part of our life. Today we can not live without it. I have just illustrated below the types and uses of textile. In the next post, I want to bring to your attention few examples of textile in Art and Architecture.


In the meantime, attached is a link associated with the term- "fabric of our lives" Cotton industry promoting cotton through this video- very sensuous !
http://www.thefabricofourlives.com/campaign.html?vidId=k11



3 comments:

  1. Yes it has permeated into every aspect of our everyday life.. Depending on the use and the desired result the fabrics change.. Being the pliable material it can also stop bullets or protect us against the germ warfare and even fire..It would be interesting to read your blog and see the uses that you come up with..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is really very informative and useful for me..Thanks for sharing such a nice blog..

    Walkway Covering Structure Chandigarh
    Roofing Shed Manufacturers Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying your blog, Neela!
    keep posting!

    ReplyDelete