Sunday, January 6, 2013

Resolutions for Year 2013 !

Year 2013 - on a serious note !!!!

I am starting 2013 year with serious thoughts, the reason might be of surviving Mayan Calendar's end of the world event or just it is that time of the year. The reasons do not matter but the intent is worth noting and I am going to share with you.

When people are on death bed, counting last few days, what things go in their mind?  I have not spend time with anyone, who is close to dying. But based on some research, I found out that most people in their last days glance the whole life, think about major incidences of their life and experience various types of emotions. When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:   

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. 
2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier. 
source- (http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html) and a book
"The Top Five Regrets of the Dying - A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing".

I am taking these into consideration to make my this year's resolution. It might help me to have less regrets when I am on my deathbed.  It sounds very depressing but the resolutions are very upbeat and might make your life rich and satisfying. Let us go in details:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. 
I have some ideas and projects, which are hidden in my mind. I am going to select few, which are connected to my dreams and start believing in them. I will put them in action regardless of their scope and validity. I want you to do the same, believe in yourself, your capability and your dreams, big or small; act upon it. 

2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
I am not sure about this. Working hard on the things, I enjoy does not slow me down.  I might regret this on deathbed, but what the heck, I enjoy working hard on the things I love because it puts me in this timeless Flow which eventually makes me happy. So you decide for yourself on this one.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
This one is very critical, 'courage to express', whether it is love, happiness, grudge or anger, you should not bury those emotions in yourself, you should express them, Of course, how you express is extremely important. It is nice to express without harming the involved parties, after all we live in civilized society. !! I am going to express my feelings and I will use various mediums to express those. Yes, the social media is one of those.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
This one is easy but still we do not make it happen. We get busy with our work and life; we do not take time to cherish moments with our friends and family. I am going to spare time and energy for my friends, well wishers and spread love. My work will not neglect the users' perspectives.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier. 
This one is my favorite. First of all, you have to be truthful to yourself, ask hard questions and figure out what makes you happy. Once you figure it out, then it is your choice. It is your life and it is one life ( might be more? ) but you decide how you want to live. I am going to ask hard questions to find out what things, work and people make me happy. I am absolutely not compromising on this and I advice you not to. In this complex, fast moving world, the definition of happiness changes and also, it is hard to know yourself, so taking some time off from busy life to find out the answers would be a nice goal for me.

These resolutions are loosely defined and vary from person to person. But, even thinking about them, now and then, can give some perspective to how you want to live your life. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment